One major detail regarding Chakras: They are energetic centers. (see subtle body) The energy within a chakra can be in deficiency, surplus, or balanced and free flowing. Don’t know where to begin? Read Chakras- At-A-Glance.
Vishuddhi Chakra: The Fifth Chakra: The Throat Chakra. The Sanksrit words VISHU translates to “impurity” or “poison” and SHUDDHI means “purification.”
VISHUDDI is located at the throat and related to expression and communication. The THROAT Chakra is associated with aqua or teal blue.
Space is the element of VISHUDDI but the THROAT CHAKRA is also related to sound. Space opens the possibility for expansion and distribution and sound is propagated into the air by vibration, both are felt with our whole body.
VISHUDDI is the Chakra of Awakening!
In the THROAT Chakra, we have the ability to purify any and all toxic disturbances from the external world.
VISHUDDI is the activation point where the 7 Chakra system is granted the full potential and wisdom to elevate consciousness as this is where energy from the lower chakras connect with the head.
- The THROAT Chakra Lotus blossom has 16 petals representing the 16 Siddhis or supernatural powers that one can attain through Yoga.
- 16 also refers to the days between half-moon and full moon in the lunar cycle symbolizing the connection and transition from :
The Subconscious: emotionally charged language to The Conscious: ‘whole’ communication.
- The inverted triangle of the THROAT chakra is symbolic of spiritual growth. The downward position is affiliated with the gathering of information from lower chakras to make this evolution possible, while the widening upward signifies enlightenment through purification.
VISSHUDI’s animal is Gaja, an elephant. Elephants carry past knowledge of earth, herbs and plants. Through this deep history, Gaja is revered as a teacher of patience, memory, self- confidence, and unity with nature.
The transcendence of human consciousness is itself an act of purification. VISHUDDI employs you to practice purification for communication and expression. When words come to the THROAT CHAKRA they are infused with all of our emotional junk of MANIPURA our unconscious and subconscious. If the origin of speech is fire, it is in the THROAT CHAKRA that the burning finally ceases to reveal pure and whole communication.
In VISHUDDI, we become conscious and take on the beautiful experience of self- discovery.
Do not shy away from the discomfort that accompanies your penetrating questions.
Sit with your answers. Question them again. Do not be fooled.
Purify your history: challenge the impressions bestowed to you from your heritage, change the perception you hold inside of yourself and the nature of your self-talk.
The THROAT Chakra emphasizes authenticity in expression and the distribution of your creativity into the world according to Satya.
VISHUDDI is associated with the expression of yourself: Your truth, purpose in life, and creativity. In order to understand the spectrum of your creative process, it is critical that your MULADHARA is open.
A Balanced VISHUDDI has the greatest gift and that is the Power of Persuasion. When the THROAT Chakra is open and balanced, you are able to express yourself clearly and honestly regardless of the situation or company you’re in.
An unbalanced THROAT chakra can adversely affect many aspects of your personal and professional life. Perhaps, you long for realizing your dreams and living with a strong and clear purpose, but can’t quite get there. You may find you avoid social situations and are more comfortable alone. You may become distrustful of your inner voice, or conversely alienate others with an uncontrollable mouth and venom-like words.
The awakening attributes of the THROAT Chakra give you the power and freedom to recognize the painful damage that language can cause to you and others.
- Your speech is filled with your history and emotional pain.
- You can literally swallow negativity and hatred from others.
- Your consciousness and subconscious comes in direct contact with poison.
VISHUDDI is a purifying machine with an INPUT & OUTPUT.
- INPUT (Rendering): all unspoken, unarticulated and uncontrolled thoughts, emotions, desires, perceptions, and words. Meaning you must actively purify the thoughts that birth words BEFORE they arrive to the mouth.
Like any machine, it can can go into overdrive and the likelihood of blockages and/or descending into lower chakras, namely the MANIPURA, the SOLAR PLEXUS Chakra will increase IF you do not do this. Put your perceptions through hell.
- OUTPUT (Clarity) : energy that flows freely through the throat chakra promotes effective, truthful communication. You are able to find yourself. You are confident, responsible, and easily find words to express your thoughts.
Finding the root cause of the problem :
We undergo our most complex relationship lessons from childhood, and ironically this is the time when we are most unable to express ourselves and/or understand what we are experiencing — but that does not mean we remain unaffected.
Many of these traumatic experiences stay with us and become complexes that we carry into adulthood. They are irrational and right there under the surface ready to explode.
Why would we have negativity or hatred in our speech? Here are 3 ways to cope with insults and disappointment from the past, particularly childhood?
Feel deeply connected to every experience as an opportunity for you to grow from. In other words, every thing that happens is a process that moves energy for you.
Have objectivity when you reflect on the past, and empathy for those involved. It is critical that you do not repeat the emotions you had when you were at the center of the experience.
Empower yourself. Rise to the present. Build a mantra that establishes the truth: you are not bound by the past or any of those circumstances that brought you pain and hardship. No one is.
If your THROAT Chakra is blocked:
A blocked VISHUDDI often blinds people from their own mistakes and will give them the false sense that their misfortune and unhappiness is to blame on someone else. You could become stoic, quiet, and fearful. You may feel as though there is something very strong, almost stronger than you, interrupting your ability to communicate. It could be a fear of what others may think of you. The worst detail of a blocked THROAT Chakra is that, the condition of not being able to communicate inevitably increases the insecurity and isolation that hindered your communication in the first place.
Symptoms of a blocked VISHUDDI may include:
- Not being able to listen to others
- Shyness: Excessive fear of speaking, secrecy
- Small, imperceptible voice
- Confused about how to express needs/ desires
- Unable to keep your word
- Explosive outbursts of rage/ tears
- Social anxiety
- Inhibited creativity
- Inconsistency between speech and actions
Physical Symptoms may include:
- Neck pain
- Sore throat
- Frequent headaches
- Dental issues
- Mouth ulcers
- Thyroid problems
- Temporomandibular disorders of the jaw (commonly known as TMJ)
If your VISHUDDI is over-active:
An overactive THROAT Chakra can seem as though the thread between what is in your mind and what comes out of your mouth is missing. This can significantly impact your relationships and ability to function overall. You may not know when your THROAT Chakra is overactive, as society, particularly in matters of business, often rewards those most vocal.
Symptoms of an overactive THROAT Chakra may include:
- Speaking rudely or out of turn
- Looking down on others
- Speaking maliciously
- Highly critical of details that have no appreciable impact on your life.
- Strong commitment to stories you’ve crafted about others.
- You may even speak negatively about yourself and others to the point it borders on verbal abuse.
- Telling lies, unable to keep a secret.
- Lack of connection with a vocation or purpose in life.
- Non-stop talking
- Ear aches
Before you begin working with the THROAT Chakra: be certain you are ready to look in the mirror. Work with ANAHATA to master Self-Love.
MEDITATE: We gain access to the different levels of consciousness with Self-Inquiry meditation. Meditate on what and how you have projected your perceptions onto situations and people. Video. Some guiding questions:
- “What do I want to realize?”
- “What obstacles need to be overcome to realize this?”
- “What problems are confronting me and how can I resolve them?”
- “Do I have a repeating narrative about myself that comes between me saying what I truly feel?”
In this process of self-investigation we lift the veil that blinds us. We accept responsibility and stop blaming others for events.
- No one is taken advantage of
- Nothing happens by accident
- Nothing can plague you that is not already found in your Karma.
- Nothing “bad” exists except that you have called it that.
- It is precisely the qualities we condemn in others that we have in ourselves.
You can also use the sound “HANG” to assist in meditation for the THROAT Chakra.
- Make an oval shape with the lips and push the sound out using as much breath as possible from the base of the tongue, using all the space up until the palate.
A few basic steps to clear this chakra include:
In most cases, positive lifestyle changes help immensely.
- A healthy diet
- Drink enough water: Cleansing the throat
- Regular Sleeping Hours
- Regular exercise
- Asana: see poses below that will help open the THROAT Chakra.
- Sound therapy: such as singing or humming, or listening to great singers
Learning to let go: Letting go is difficult, but holding onto things over which you have no control is deadly. You do not have to be your greatest torturer! Releasing negative emotions can help restore balance in the throat chakra.
Consulting and trusting your inner voice: Practice MAUNA. This is simply practicing the art of silence, or when silence is not possible, using fewer words than more. With friends it is easy to be pleasant and use beautiful words, but to treat strangers or adversaries with kindness and compassion is a great virtue.
Practicing being open with close friends and family: Make it a point to be open and honest with all you say. It’s perfectly fine to start small, but do not avoid vulnerability. Simply speaking in a heartfelt way can work wonders to strengthen and balance the THROAT chakra.
Prānāyāma: Through the power of the breath, you enhance the purification power of the VISHUDDI Chakra. Your Shakti grows and your consciousness and subconscious are harmonized. You are one step closer to enlightenment.
Aromatherapy: Clearing the air around you in your space can restore balance to the chakras. Consider introducing one or a combination of these scents to heal and activate your THROAT Chakra:
- ylang ylang
Write down your thoughts: Learning how to freely express yourself without interrupting your stream of consciousness can be helpful in restoring balance to your THROAT chakra. You can let it sit on the page instead of festering in your heart and manifesting in repressed communication. You don’t even need to re-read that which you have written, but it will be there if you wish to do so.
Work with a professional: Begin psychotherapy and/or seeing an energy healer.
Asana for VISHUDDI:
You can begin with simple neck movements, such as moving you head from side to side, up and down, forward and back. These movements expose the THROAT, stretch the skin, increase blood flow to the area and can ease tensions blocking the THROAT Chakra.
- Camel (Ustrasana)
- Plow (Halasana)
- Bridge (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Fish (Matsyasana)
- Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
If your THROAT Chakra balanced:
- Expression, in particular, ability to express your truth, is effortless
- Communication, verbal or non-verbal, external or internal are unified
- Mastery of Intuition and Clairvoyance
- Master the transition of ideas and blueprints into reality
- Defining and realizing one’s life purpose