One major detail regarding Chakras: They are energetic centers. (see subtle body) The energy within a chakra can be in deficiency, surplus, or balanced and free flowing. Don’t know where to begin? Read Chakras- At-A-Glance.
Ajna: The 3rd Eye Chakra: The 6th Chakra: The Sanskrit word AJNA translates to “Command or Authority.” It is located in the center of the eyebrows. The THIRD Chakra is enriched by the color violet or a glowing iridescent blue.
Appropriately, the AJNA is associated with all elements particularly that of Space, as this tattva is a portal for intuition.
- In the THIRD EYE wisdom and humanity are matured and we’re able to bridge the gap between our grounded human experience and that of the elevated Divine Consciousness. AJNA is is a powerful conduit for visualizations as it is closely tied to the optical nerves. It is also one of the final points of the Ida and Pingala Nadis, where our lunar-masculine and solar-feminine energies converge.
- The THIRD EYE Chakra is represented by a two-petaled lotus. One petal stands for GU (darkness/ignorance) and the other RU (light/knowledge.) Together these syllables bring Paravidya, “complete” knowledge forward as opposed to Aparavidyā, “incomplete” knowledge, ruled by the intellect and limited. This complete knowledge engages with the Higher Self in a constant way and reminds us of the duality that exists in nature.
- The animal for AJNA is the Ardhamatra. This is an incredibly elusive Sanskrit word that doesn’t have a ton of information out there, however my interpretation is that it is best expressed as birds of prey. Hawks, Falcons, Eagles, Owls, etc.
These birds are nurturing and intuitive, historical and have a reptilian element to them. They bring keen observation, and great responsibility. They rarely miss the mark as they are the epitome of integrity. Because the element celebrated here is space, it is said that the THIRD EYE Chakra is where the wings of the soul can finally unfold and take flight. Find a way to connect to the powerful grace of Birds of Prey.
Ground yourself to better soar: Counter-intuitive but critical: The thin line between inspiration and insanity.
“What is the difference between a comedian and a homeless person screaming in the subway?”
A paying audience.
The awakening of AJNA is critical for personal evolution. Until our THIRD EYE is awakened, we are often incapable of understanding ourselves. The abilities that lie in AJNA are of great assistance for those suffering from psychic problems. (ALL OF US)
The GuRu Principle provides us with Viveka: the ability to discern reality from unreality. A balanced THIRD EYE is the antidote to:
- personality disorders
- anti-social disorder
- any time you feel out of control or overwhelmed by emotions
AJNA penetrates the subtle world, all that we experience yet cannot put into words. Yogic philosophy has coined these experiences as our ‘inner cause’ or more completely stated, the origin of thought, as Antahkarana, and this one concept is comprised of the cooperation of four functionalities.
Manas: The low-level mind; Sensory perceptions. All of our physical attributes.
Chitta: The subconscious; Impressions we use to navigate experience.
Ahamkara: The ego. Our constructed identity. ( Unconscious + Subconscious + Consciousness)
Buddhi: Inner wisdom; Higher Self; Divine Consciousness.
If your THIRD EYE Chakra is blocked:
The nature of society is a judgmental one, and the pitfall of being part of a community is that we sometimes borrow other people’s logic and language to discredit who and what we are in order to fit in. We feel nuts for the things we think and see behind closed eyes. We do not trust the process of life. We often compare ourselves to other people.
“I shall never be able to understand it, but there must be someone who can. And I shall have to create that someone who can inside myself.”
– Excerpt from ‘The Passion according to G.H.’
We condemn ourselves for our own beautiful and natural sixth sense because this sensitivity makes us vulnerable and who wants that? So, we reject it. We kick and scream.
Symptoms may include:
- You’re lacking the big picture of life and feel constricted by circumstance
- Feel as though you cannot progress towards your goals
- Reject spiritual aspects or connections in life
- Narrow-minded thinking and behavior
- Lack of clarity or focus
If AJNA is Over-Active:
There is regular mind stuff, but there’s other stuff that rises to the surface of our cognitive experience. All of that strange chemical stirring is energy. That’s all it is. You can hardly believe it, right? But energy can sometimes be too much. It can control our every move, charging us to act on things that are not rooted in reality. They can distract and disconnect us from the human experience. When your visions go beyond inspiration or meditative trance and instead lessen the power of your Antahkarana (functionality), you know its time to get grounded.
- You are often lost in fantasy
- Over-indulgent in thoughts and visions
- Talk a lot about things that you want to do but are not actually working towards
- Have dreams every night or very frequently
- Thoughts of Grandeur – Self Important
Balancing your THIRD EYE Chakra:
Meditation: The third eye is the center of higher wisdom. We have already stated how this chakra is guided by Viveka, clarity, and the GURU Principle of bringing oneself out of darkness and into the light. Silence the mental chatter, the to-do’s lists, all of your worrying that comes between you and your Higher Self.
- Visually: See your THIRD EYE in the center of your eyebrows. It is no mistake that the eyes are called a window into the soul. Envision blue, purple, and iridescent hues coming together in the magnificent texture and depth we often see in the universe of someone’s eye.
- Musically: Repeat “AUM.” This is the phonetic spelling of the Sansksrit word and concept of OM. The sound “A” starts way back in the back of the throat with a wide open smiling mouth, continuing to the “AU” (O-sound) with lips pursed in a circular shape, to the final closed lips vibrating an “M,” and continuing audible vibrations until all breath has left the lungs.
The mantra associated with AJNA’s energetic shift :
ASATO MĀ SAT GAMAYA –
Lead us from unreality to reality
TAMASO MĀ JYOTIR GAMAYA –
Lead us from darkness to light
Acknowledge Your Surrounding: You are not alone. Everything is a message or symbol. Remember you are connected to everything, which means everything is also connected to you.
My personal messengers are bugs – The eternal darkness of the underworld, the primordial, the behind the scenes, literally OM: the deep vibration or pulse at the center of the earth. The sight of them can sometimes be uncomfortable but their rituals bear the true essence of survival and cooperation. If anything their presence gives us a better understanding of the word “busy.” Nature never rushes, yet everything gets done.
Animals – Do you randomly have cameos in your life? Like that time you saw an owl in the middle of the day, or a mountain lion, a fox that no one else caught a glimpse of. Something rare and unexpected that was specially created for you alone. Since the beginning of time, animals have taken on a variety of significance across cultures. Everything has a purpose, and a sighting should be regarded as the blessing that it is.
Words – Have you ever seen a billboard at the perfect moment, a random sticker when you least expect it, some message that is left there for you even though it didn’t have your name written with it? It could be a full sentence or just a phrase that somehow taps into the inside joke that only you and someone else may know? How is this happening and why at this particular moment when it matters so much? The Universe has an amazing sense of humor and irony is never lost on her.
Scents – Do you smell things at times that are not actually there? Is this your brain triggering a memory or chemicals playing tricks on you. Why does someone bring a smell into your world at that particular moment, and why did your olfactory gland commit that smell to memory in such a critical way that you feel emotionally connected to a scent?
Songs – Take notice of songs when they play for you. Is this coincidence, or not?
Random Vehicles – What about directly introducing symbols and messages into your daily life. Do you write down your dreams and reflect upon them? Do you read your horoscope or play with tarot cards with friends or a lover?
Consider yourself an Artist. And art as a way of living:
Creativity is a very efficient way to let go of what is taking up space in your logical mind. It is also really helpful to think of your habits and the way you interpret the events of your life as an art form. This world is beautiful, enjoy it! The sound of the ocean, the bloom of a flower, the song of a bird, and the sweet smell of rain – all ask nothing from you. Do your part and put some beauty back in while you can.
- For those who are blocked : Use the senses to drift into a dream-like state.
- Be curious about symbolic meanings, from different cultures and time periods
- Surround yourself in nature, meditative walks in the forest.
- Find something or some event as your GURU. Use this to initiate new behavior that goes away from darkness and into the light.
- For those that are over-active : Limit yourself to one vision, do your best to stay with it, reduce it to a form, a shape, a color, a texture – something concrete and manifest that into reality using your hands and focused energy.
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Belly down Savasana with head resting on top of stacked closed fists.
- Up-Dog / Cobra / Locust – focusing on opening the THIRD EYE Chakra
- Standing Half Forward Bend (Ardha Uttanasana)
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Wild Thing (Flipped Dog)
- Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana)
If your THIRD EYE Chakra is balanced:
Only wisdom and clarity of consciousness liberate us from Samskara. This is the Sanskrit word to describe the impressions we have recorded from very early in our development. It is the stories we repeat and react to in the life we think we are having instead of manifesting a life we love. It is the unhealthy cycles that we are liable to repeat and have mistakenly attached to our identity. The THIRD EYE is the only way to see the wisdom already residing deep within. To be centered in the AJNA means to be perfectly conscious holding ourselves as the GURU of every experience and to behave with Viveka.